Get to Know Garden Hose Layers Before You Buy
Most everyone is familiar with a garden hose. Using one is the best way to transport water around outside. However, not everyone is familiar with the layering of a garden hose and what those layers provide in terms of integrity and flexibility, convenience of use and water purity.
Garden hoses have three to four layers. Generally, the layers consist of the following:
Innermost or Core Layer
The main purpose of the innermost or core layer is to transport water from the spigot to the end of the hose through an extruded synthetic rubber or softer plastic tube. The core layer is also the main driver of kink-resistance. Many garden hoses are made from recycled materials. Because of this, there’s typically a virgin water barrier on the inside of the core layer that prevents the water from coming in contact with the recycled materials.
Middle or Reinforcement Layer
The middle layer(s), known as the reinforcement layer, is meant to add strength and integrity to the hose. It’s composed typically of polyester fibers that are webbed, braided, knitted, wrapped, weaved or spiraled and placed between the core layer and the jacket layer to provide reinforcement. The reinforcement layer resists both outward pressure from the inner tube and inward pressure from an external force (such as your foot or a tire). It also determines the burst pressure rating of a hose and can aid in kink-resistance.
Outermost or Jacket Layer
The outermost layer, which is the jacket, protects the inner hose layers from external forces or environmental conditions that can cause deterioration such as ultraviolet light from the sun. The jacket layer can also provide color and a particular outward appearance, or a grippable surface for ease of use.
Types of Swan Hoses and Their Layers
Light- and Medium-Duty Garden Hose Layers
The light- and medium-duty hoses Swan offers are constructed with four layers. The main differences between the layers of these two types of hoses are the overall thickness of the core and jacket layers, as well as the hose fittings. In full alignment with our mission and commitment to the environment, we incorporate recycled materials into many of our hoses, including our light- and medium-duty garden hoses. The layers consist of:
- The innermost or core layer that transports water, along with the virgin water barrier on the inside of the core layer that prevents the water from coming in contact with any recycled materials in the hose.
- A middle or reinforcement layer, typically composed of polyester fiber, that’s been weaved and embedded between the core layer and outer layers. The webbing increases the reinforcement of the hose.
- An additional reinforcement layer for added durability.
- The final layer or the jacket, which gives the hose its appearance, helps prevent abrasion and aids in the protection of the inner hose layers from external forces.
To see Swan’s collection of light- and medium-duty hoses, click here: https://www.swanhose.com/residential-s/1864.htm
Heavy-Duty Hose Layers
Our heavy-duty hoses provide increased strength, durability and kink-resistance, with some including our exclusive CoreFUSION Technology™ for the ultimate quality in these areas. This series of hoses also incorporates recycled materials to align our products with our mission and commitment to the environment. The layers for heavy-duty hoses typically include:
- The core layer that transports water, along with the virgin water barrier on the inside of the core layer that prevents the water from coming in contact with any recycled materials in the hose.
- A reinforcement layer, typically composed of polyester fiber, that’s been weaved and embedded between the core layer and outer layers for added durability.
- Some of our heavy-duty hoses also feature CoreFUSION Technology™. CoreFUSION Technology™ places strong reinforcement rods throughout the entire length of the initial reinforcement layer, helping to eliminate kinks and increase the strength of the hose by 35 percent.
- An additional layer that aids in durability and helps protect the inner hose layers.
- The jacket, which gives the hose its look and feel, helps stop abrasion and protects the inside layers of the hose.
Click here https://www.swanhose.com/Heavy-Duty-Hoses-s/1826.htm to purchase one of Swan’s heavy-duty hoses.
Premium-Duty Hose layers
Our premium-duty hoses are specifically made with water pressure–reinforcement fibers for increased water pressure applications. These hoses withstand greater water pressure than the light-, medium- and heavy-duty hoses. Some of our premium-duty hoses also off full virgin-material layers, as well a unique octagonal jacket for higher kink-resistance. Swan’s premium-duty hoses typically consist of the following three layers:
- A plastic inner tube with virgin water barrier, along with webbing embedded into the outer layer of the inner tube wall for water pressure reinforcement of the hose.
- A second layer that reinforces the inner layer to help with higher water pressure applications.
- The outer jacket, some of which are octagonal in shape to help fight kinks, that protects the inner layers of the hose from abrasion and external factors, and gives the hose its appearance.
To review Swan’s premium-duty hoses, click here: https://www.swanhose.com/element-hoses-s/1829.htm
Premium Rubber Hose Layers
Our premium rubber hoses are made from an exclusive rubber formula that makes them twice as strong and yet 40 percent lighter than standard rubber hoses. They are also lead-free and drinking water–safe. Our premium rubber hose layers include:
- An inner rubber tube with embedded webbing for reinforcement.
- A middle layer of rubber tubing that maintains and increases the strength of the inner rubber tube. Our exclusive rubber formula used in these layers doubles the strength of the rubber hose and decreases its weight by 40 percent.
- An outer jacket made of rubber that makes this hose tough enough for commercial applications, but also easy enough for the homeowner to handle.
You can shop all of Swan’s premium rubber hoses here: https://www.swanhose.com/rubber-s/1865.htm
Each layer of a garden hose provides a form of protection or reinforcement for the water running through the hose. With more than 90 years of experience with PVC, hybrid and rubber hoses, Swan provides the highest-quality and most technologically advanced watering solutions. There are many options to choose from, but Swan has the hose for your watering needs, from residential to commercial, as well as the experience you can rely on.